Friday, February 18, 2005

Girls like dads with skills

If you were in my house tonight you would have heard my five-year-old daughter proclaiming at the top of her lungs “Daddy is awesome! He’s the coolest boy I know!” Awwwww Yeeeaaahhhh! Daddy is awesome tonight. What makes dad so awesome, you ask? I got skills -- video game skills.

You see, mama is out of town on a family emergency so dad is flyin’ solo through Saturday. So after the taquitos and chocolate milk for dinner (and after homework and piano practice) I loaded my 3, 5, and 7 year old children into the car and it was off to McDonalds for ice cream and some playtime. After that is was off to rent a video game for the ol’ Gamecube. Selection was sparse but we ended up with The Incredibles. When we got home they insisted dad try the game first. After some tinkering I figured how to get Mr. Incredible to run, jump, throw stuff, and beat the stuffing out of those French bad guys. The kids loved it. They were giddy with delight when I learned I could pick up and throw the bad guys too. Some time later, at their continued goading and after bedtime, level one was completed.

I, of course, am awesome. I am the coolest male my kids know. It all goes to show: Little kids love dads with skills.

5 Comments:

Or as long as your kills are better than theirs.

I am no where near the soccer player they think I am, but they don't seem to care. As far as they are concerned, I am the best soccer player in the world. Just wait till our son starts soccer this fall. 

Posted by Kim Siever

2/18/2005 09:01:00 AM  

Alas, you are right -- they will not always be so easy to impress. But we can live it up while they are little.  

Posted by Geoff Johnston

2/18/2005 10:31:00 AM  

Geoff, my daughters are now grown up (22,24 &26). When we get together to reminisce about their growing up years, the subject always turns to the fact that Dad was the coolest: He played video games with them, help them beat the bad guys, and let them do his hair with barrettes and such. He liked their music as teenagers and occasionally threatened to get out his baseball bat when guys came calling.

It is good to be a Dad with skills! 

Posted by cooper

2/25/2005 08:49:00 AM  

I think our kids must think we're pretty cool. Dad makes snowboards for a living and skates/surfs/bmxes/etc. I make websites for a living and go see bands play all the time/listen to a lot of underground music. Our kids are hitting their teen years now and I keep waiting for them to realize how lame we are, but it hasn't happened yet.

BTW, glad your son is ok! Just discovered your blog today. 

Posted by Susan Malmrose

3/02/2005 06:17:00 PM  

You sure sound pretty cool to me. I hope that my long history in rock bands will keep an air of coolness about me as my kids get into teenage years. I'm not sure it will work but one can always hope.

I'm glad you found my blog! Kultureblog is a favorite read of mine and rock is my main interest so I like your posts over there on the subject. One of these days I'll submit a post to y'all to see if it is worthy of publishing there. 

Posted by Geoff Johnston

3/03/2005 01:23:00 PM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home